29 August 2011

Madonna

The Icelanic horse is special for many reasons, one being that for over a thousand years they have not changed their genetic line. In their native country they have few diseases; Icelandic law prevents horses from being imported and exported animals are not allowed back into the country.



Icelandic horses are smaller than other breeds of horses, although usually larger than ponies. The Icelandic displays two gaits in addition to the typical walk, trot, and canter/gallop commonly displayed by other breeds. Yes, they have 5 different gaits!!!!



Some horses are also raised here for slaughter.....with most of the meat being sent off to Japan, but surprisingly widely consumed here as well.



After my ride I don't think I can try this local specialty today.......My Icelandic horses name is Madonna. Though I haven't had a ton of experience on horses, Madonna was VERY responsive and I had a fantastic time, I even chose to ride back to the farm with the fast group where we got to try the special "tölt" gait(a few people decided to walk back)



My cold is doing better and only a couple of days until I head to Seattle. I hope my brain is ready for meter school.....oops I think it just went galloping off with that Icelandic horse!!!!

- Posted using BlogPress

No comments:

Post a Comment