05 April 2010

Naxos, Greece 4/4/2010

Christos Anesti!

This is what they yell and welcome you with right after the church service on the night before Easter. Then the fireworks go off- directly overhead!

I am couchsurfing with a guy here in Naxos. And 2 of his friends from near Athens. Boys. Greek boys. Greeks are actually very respectful. But, they also make it very clear about what they want and are thinking. Especially if they feel comfortable around you... the next couple of days are going to be some trouble, I can already tell! More later on that.

2 of the guys know very basic English (and I know NO Greek!!) So misunderstandings are prevailant. Okay, sorry, basic English, I promise.... me cavewoman..... seriously, am I asking for trouble?!!!!

Sunday is Easter, and everyone has no work. Its a family oriented holiday with barbeques, wine, visitors from Alaska, okay so thats not so normal, but Im just trying to fit in!!! And I am sooooo full!!!! They keep feeding me and feeding me and I feel I am bursting!

And the food is so wonderful! Lamb on the barbeque, homemade wines, slightly grilled pita bread, greek salad which is: fresh tomatoes, cucumber, onions, with olive oil and feta cheese, (and yes, I am eating and actually enjoying the tomatoes! For those of you that know me to avoid tomatoes at any cost) Sliced oven baked potatoes(kind of like fries) red dyed eggs, a kind of egg salad with yogurt, tzatziki (yogurt, cucumber, and garlic dip) and way too many sweet things to name.

Sunshine, good food, happy people (I just wish I spoke the same language) Sigh, but honestly I am almost ready for home- I seriously need some regular sleep!!

Im sure I am forgetting to tell you lots but my time on the internet is almost over!

1 comment: