15 April 2010

Athens 4/7/2010

Getting back to the city center was a chore, the metro is under construction at points so the service gets interrupted, you take a bus, then get back on the metro to reach the port/or city. The way to the port was no problem (we just followed the crowds and ran into a fantastic random person who kindly showed us the way) Getting back I couldnt find where or which bus I had to take I had to rely on a strangers help.

A stranger that spoke very very very little English!! But he took me from the metro to the bus stop and on to the next metro, then proceeded to tell me where to get off on my stop. By this point I knew where I was but didnt want to make him feel like he wasnt doing a great deed (because he really was!!)

I found myself back at Athens backpackers, hoping there was a bed available. There was. I didnt make many reservations the entire trip. I tried doing a day trip down to gorgeous cape Sounion, and the locations of Poseidons Temple, but the bus was so tricky to figure out (no obvious signs) that once I found out where it stopped (from a wonderful kiosk agent) I waited about 2 minutes and watched it go whizzing by.....I may not have explained earlier- as its a skill I am learning still, but you MUST flag down buses if you want to board. I just ironically watched this one go whirring by. The next one didnt come for another hour. Ohwell. Maybe I will come back.

Instead I go walking about 4 miles to ALL the big museums, I head back and just as I am thinking to myself on how comfortable with the city and my directions I suddenly realize: Im lost. In the flea markets nontheless. Yep, there I go feeling all overly confident. Luckily the greatest thing about this place, is that if you can find the Acropolis high up on its hill overlooking the city, you can easily find yourself again.

Next I visit the National Botanical gardens. So refreshing compared to the constant energy of the city rumble. Except, a guy sits down and asks me where Im from. I am not in a mood today for this. I tell him I am not interested (plus he barely speaks my language) finally he gets my drift and leaves. I pack up my book and decide to head back to the backpackers. Here approaches this other guy. He asks my name. I tell him it doesnt matter. He asks me if I like fish. Really? Fish?! I say no and I have to go. He follows me. He follows me all the way to the exit of the park, asking my name the entire time. Are guys really this desperate here? I later find out the worst place to go in the city alone: the botanical gardens. Why dont the guide books have this type of crucial information!!!!!!!!!!!

The bars are not so appealing this evening, so a couple I had as roommates and I went on a quest for beers and headed back to our room, on the way the guy at the desk was soooo nice to give us the key to the rooftop bar (which was not yet open for the year) so we went up, took some pictures of the Acropolis at night and had a grand ol time!

Tomorrow is my flight towards home! Im just getting used to the flow of things and the culture and already Im heading home?!

Yes, home to my beautiful Sitka. Soon I will be on my way!!

No comments:

Post a Comment