12 February 2009

My Norwegian Dream Coming true

And no, by that I dont mean I met a handsome hunk of a man who is Norwegian by birth who is eagerly making my wildest dreams come true (although a girl can hope *grins*) If that were the case I would have labeled this entry "My Norwegian Hunk Dream Coming True" and you would no doubt hear all about it in detail.

But......I have had a particular notion in my head for some time and recently decided its time to help things happen. I have decided I am going to Norway. This coming June or September(date still to be determined) with my dad in tow we are headed off to the land of the Vikings!

Why Norway you ask? The cold weather I have been working in should be giving me a directional nudge somewhere warm, like the Bahamas, Hawaii, Figi, anywhere in South America if my internal map needs some broadening.

North, where the weather in September is just as rainy, cloudy, cold and gray as Sitka? But maybe June will be the better bet. With its immense beauty which draws my attention to it any time I see a magazine article or a picture on the internet or hear the language spoken. My heritage must play a role in why everything Norwegian seems to be so attractive to me.

Which by the way my favorite all time book that I highly recommend to everyone (even more so if you consider yourself a traveler) Is called "Berserk" written by a man named David Mercy, (you should pick up a copy of your very own because I keep lending MINE out and seem to have lots of trouble in getting it back) but they made a documentary of this trek and it is pretty great. The Sitka Library has a copy of this movie and I also recommend it (Or at least to get yourself on the waiting list) The captain of the boat is Norwegian and the film has lots of Norwegian influence is why this so happened to pop into my head....

I am about 25% of Norwegian decent. We have relatives in Norway, but some serious research will need to be done in order to meet them. As you leave the bigger cities and get into the more rural farm areas, communication seems to be not as easy. Internet is available but most people prefer a more simplistic way of living.

I am sure I will be talking, writing, singing, dancing and over communicating about Norway Norway Norway as my anticipation grows. So please bear with me in the upcoming 5-8 months. Who knows maybe I will find a Norwegian hunk to bring back to Sitka with me. Now we are talking!

No comments:

Post a Comment