31 May 2010

Lion jelly

Introducing the new and improved
(but mainly low sugar diabetic friendly)
LION JELLY!!!
RAWRRR! Warning..... if you have read my last post and decided to try this dandelion jelly recipe out, please note that if you consider yourself a "green thumb" reconsider, because every single digit will now become yellow. Yes I said yellow, and not to mention a very very sticky mess.

I had some lovely helpers the other day out picking these dandelions. The toughest part is that at this time of the year the dandelions are seeding into those wispy, billowing seeds that blow all over the place with a single breath. So there we were deep into dandelion territory, we were lucky to get out alive if ya ask me...

So after gathering 2 half filled bags worth it was off to home to separate the blossoms from the bitter stems. If my fingers were not yellow before, well..... even lava soap does not do the yellow dandelion pigment justice!(good thing I read the sap was good for warts, cuz I surely will not grow any on my hands!) It was tedious work but once I had 3 cups of blossoms I heaved a huge sigh of relief! Dandelions wilt pretty quick once you pluck them so just be sure to separate as soon as possible because they close up as they die and thats just more work than you need to do....
unless you like doing things the hard way of course....My new favorite pectin to use is: Pomonas Universal Pectin. It really does use less sugar (some pectins just say you can use less, but this brand is absolute magic!!) it is pectin powder that you mix with calcium water and you can buy it locally in Sitka at Simple Pleasures and at Evergreen health food store. Since this was all a huge experiment, I was not positive how this recipe was going to turn out because simmering dandelions dont exactly have the greatest aroma..... and since I have gotten away with adding less sugar to fruits and berries in recipes, I had high hopes this dandelion recipe would at least be edible...... However.... Lion jelly is delicious! If you dont believe me you should really attempt to make your own, you could ask me to help you, but Im not sharing mine so go pick some dandelions and call me!

Rawwrrrr......

No comments:

Post a Comment