12 April 2010

Mykonos 4/6/2010

Hello Mykonos, I had heard this was one of the top ten places to visit while in Greece; except, through opinions of travelers that had been there first hand- I got quite a different idea of what to expect. The island of Mykonos in the summer is wonderful, exotic, and yes very romantic.

However- it happens to be spring while I am here, and as I had heard, Mykonos is not hopping, friendly or overly exciting at this time. Thats okay, I still plan on seeing it, I just now know what to expect and only have 2 nights planned here.

This entry is posted so late for a reason. The reason being I met a man in Mykonos. Not the kind of man you would think I should meet on a romantic island while in Greece. This man was a tad crazy. So I post late so my friends and family know although I may have been in potential danger (although I dont think he was entirely dangerous, maybe just a bit lonely in Mykonos) that I didnt want them to worry about the remainder of my trip.

I went to the beach with a group of people and about 20 minutes into plopping myself down into the warm golden granules of sand with my book, 2 men approached the group, we will call them man A and man B, who told everybody there was dancing and music going on at one of the bars in town later that evening (about 13 kilometers away) the only problem with this was the buses were not on an evening schedule yet- so there was no cheap way (unless a group took a taxi) to get to and from the bar.

The group was not overly excited about going dancing, I had a spark of interest but also didnt want to go alone, so figured I would just stay near the beach and backpacker place I was staying at and recuperate from my last island shenanigans. But gave my temporary Greek number to man A in case I changed my mind. Slowly the group dwindled down until I realized, hey, Im sitting all alone on this parcel of beach with man A.

Where did man B go? Ah who knows. I chatted with man A for a while, he didnt know a ton of English but we were communicating alright. Then all of the sudden he covered my feet up with sand! Strange I thought, I wouldnt go to a beach and cover some strangers feet with sand.

Then I came to my next realization: man A probably thinks I am interested because I gave him my number!

So I decide to make it clear to him: "hey man A, you are really nice but Im just not interested" (or something along the lines of that) which brought us into some unusual discussions about dating, where I lived, where he lived, somehow to the topic that if we got married we could have a house in Mykonos AND in Alaska! Whoa- hang on a second here man A- IM NOT THINKING ANYTHING ALONG THE LINES OF MARRIAGE!!!!!!

But why not? He says directly. I tell him that I need to know someone before trusting them and making a decision like that and it just was not logical. He then became very very very (very) interested in visiting Alaska. Um...... what have I gotten myself into here!

At this point in this current story as I am telling it, I usually get interrupted by my listeners- "Was he at least good looking?" He was good looking, but that is SO not the point! The point is, I think I need to get off this beach- ASAP! Then he takes my hand and tells me I have the most beautiful eyes he has ever seen. To which I giggle because this seriously was not just said to me- right?! It was wrong to giggle, because he took it as a positive move and so he leans down to kiss the top of my hand, then sprawls himself across my lap and looks up at me.

Ok, I am totally weirded out now, does he think he is a puppy dog? "Um I have a problem with this, you cannot lay on my lap." Oh, sorry, he gets up but inches closer to my right side and covers my feet up with sand again. I make a move to stand up, its time to leave. His reaction was to grab my legs so I couldnt get up. I sit back on the sand to get my grounding and decide once and for all I have had enough of this. He doesnt realize how strong I am until I push him back until he falls over and I tell him that was completely unacceptable and I have to go NOW!

He stands and gives me a hug and holds my hand and asks about the dancing again. At this point I know if I tell him no or maybe, he may not let me off this beach! I say he can call me and he says "little goodbye, not big goodbye, just little goodbye right?!" I say yes, little goodbye and saunter off down the beach as calmly as I can, thinking, even if I saw you again, theres going to be no mixed signals about what in the h e double l just happened, I need to go analyze this thoroughly!

I fall asleep back at my room and my phone ringing about 4 times wakes me up so I decide I am staying in for the night and I turn it off. The next morning I find I cant turn phone on without a code from Vodaphone (which is somewhere in bag, but I was in no hurry to find it) so go to breakfast and finally turn phone on and go into town. He calls 28 times in 8 hours. I turn phone off again for the rest of the night. The next morning I am waiting for the ferry. He calls another 20 something times through out the day. And a scattering of times over the next few days. Really, Im sorry for standing you up, I just really did not feel the same about someone I just met and hardly know.

I now just hope he wasnt so desperate to show up in Alaska (luckily I did NOT give him my town name) Im still not so sure if I should be more worried than I am! But like I said earlier, I dont think he was entirely dangerous, maybe just a bit lonely. We all have bouts of that right?!

Lesson learned from this: Unless you are prepared for intense interest, dont be TOO friendly (or friendly at all) with Greek men!!

Goodbye Mykonos!
Time to head back to Athens!

No comments:

Post a Comment