22 March 2010

Athens 3/22/2010

Plane ride are usually full of stress, anxiety, cramped spaces and endless awakeness(cuz Im not one to follow the crowd and sleep on flights. HOWEVER the plane rides were great, I had no anxiety, got to get up and stretch a bit (I was on an aisle seat) and I was in the back of the jet (less bumpy) Was unable to sleep (at all) but, I got caught up on all of my movie watching. Will not have to watch any movies for the next 4 months!

Directions in Athens are terrible, not all streets are marked the same they are on maps, there are 2 to 3 spelling to everything. Ive been asked for directions twice- do I really look like I live here, REALLY?- and was even smacked on the back of the head on the metro the first time by an older lady because I didnt realize she was speaking to me. I must be arrogant because it actually made me laugh strangely enough, must have been jet lag, after all it is 3am Alaska time......

Today in Athen I met up with another traveler and we are having such a blast, getting sunburned, eating gyros, and early tomorrow morning, heading off to the island of Paros together.

Got a SIM card for my phone, and it seems to be working, but I still need to buy credit(minutes) at one of the kiosks before I can use it, and I will not know its really working until I try it. Its not extremely expensive, believe it or not, then again maybe I will have to buy a lot of credit......so if you get a weird international text message- dont worry its probably just me!

More soon,
Kate

2 comments:

  1. Oh Kate.... totally jealous! Carla says Paros is beautiful and the "party" island... have fun and post more stories soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Better listen to them "Ol Lady's" ya think ? - bloggher -
    just in from my "trip" too - success happy.

    ReplyDelete