01 January 2009

Intimidation 2009

I am sitting on the edge of our local Swan lake unting my iceskates when I see a rowdy group a kids around the age of 12-13 pushing each other, yelling at each other, even so much as spitting at one another. Geez I think was I ever like this?!!

All of the sudden the young man in the group (the only one in a swarm of girls I realize) yells to me, "Hey dont I know you?!!" And he comes over and plops down next to me on the frozen grass.

I smile at him and say "no I dont think I know you, but do you recognize me from somewhere around town maybe?"

"No, actually I dont know you, but I had to get away from those girls they are being pushy!" He admits sheepishly to me. "Its fun sometimes, but at the same time sometimes its not so much fun." He explains further.

I look toward the girls, "yeah girls can be a little intimidating sometimes." Then think to myself that sometimes we girls can be down right scary but this is the first guy in a while that has used me as an escape, a safe haven almost. That doesnt happen too often I point out to myself.

Do I come across as rowdy, screaming, spitting, freakishly intimidating as these girls were being to this very logical little man? I sure hope not.

Then again, intimidation gives myself a blanket of security from those guys that you need to be intimidating towards. Its finding that balance of the boundary to let the good guys in.

This year is a whole new chance to redefine what other people think about your own intimidation level. Whether it is in a much needed place or if we can make the boards in the symbolic fence stretch a little to let who you do not wish to intimidate through.

And dont worry if you are a good guy: Im not at all like those girls, really I can let you in. And unless you make me really really really mad, I wont spit on you either. :)

Happy New Year!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment